Nova Scotia Apple Delight
Makes 6 individual servings or a 9 x 9″ pan. Ready in 20 minutes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 large apples sliced (peeled)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Beat eggs in mixer.
3. Add milk and beat.
4. Add flour and salt, beat until combined.
5. When hot, melt butter in pan (about 9×9) or use large 6 muffins tin. When butter melts, add apples and put back in over until butter sizzles.
6. When butter is sizzling, pour in batter evenly and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon
7. Bake 20 minutes and enjoy right away!
Nova Scotia Brown Bread
Makes 2 loaves.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 tsp of salt
- 4-6 cups of flour
- 8g dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup of molasses
- ½ tsp sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. In good sized bowl, soak oats, shortening, and salt in boiling water. Mix and let stand until lukewarm (not hot).
3. In the meantime, combine yeast, warm water and sugar (let stand 10 minutes or until foamy).
4. Add yeast to lukewarm oats and ½ cup of molasses and gradually add flour until dough becomes soft.
5. Knead by hand 5-10 minutes and then place in greased bowl and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
6. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased pans.
7. Let rise 1 hour and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes – immediately remove from pan and spread butter over top so it won’t be brittle and let cool.
Farmhouse Inn Granola (gluten-free)
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats – to ensure gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp flax seeds (or chia seeds)
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds (or hemp seeds)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts, chopped (I used toasted slivered almonds) or walnuts, pecans etc
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed, Canola, vegetable, or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit (optional: raisins, dried cranberries and dried apricots)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add all ingredients except for the dried fruit. Mix until well combined.
4. Spread the granola mixture on the baking sheet, spread it out into an even layer.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until nice and golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes.
6. Remove granola from the oven and let cool completely (in pan) on a wire rack.
When the granola has finally cooled, mix in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Breakfast Granola Cups
Prep 15 minutes. Cook time 10 minutes. Ready in about 1 hour, 45 minutes.
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups large rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups yogurt
- cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spray 6 muffin cups with cooking spray.
3. Whisk banana, honey, and almond extract together in a bowl until smooth.
4. Whisk large oats, cinnamon, and salt together in another bowl.
5. Stir oat mixture into banana mixture until evenly mixed. Press mixture into the base and up the sides of the prepared muffin cups.
6. Refrigerate until chilled and firm, 1 to 2 hours.
7. Remove muffin cups from refrigerator and press each firmly into the base and sides of the muffin cups again.
8. Bake in the preheated oven until set and fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Press sides of granola cup into the muffin cup again with a spoon.
Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from muffin cups. Fill each cooled cup with yogurt and seal remainder for 3-4 days or freeze.